During the 1907 survey of Hittites sites in Anatolia, John Garstang and his team visited the site of the Hittite capital of Hattusha near the modern Turkish settlement of Boğazköy (spelt ‘Boghaz Keui’ by Garstang). The team took photographs of the remains of the city shortly before they were excavated by the German Institute of Archaeology. The site is now listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list and is continued to be excavated by the German Institute of Archaeology. For more information on the site today, see the Institute’s Hattusa excavation project website.
Here is a general view of the visible remain of the ‘lower palace’ at Hattusha. The modern settlement can be seen in the background.
This image shows the remains of two parabolic arches which formed a gate in the city wall of Hattusha, now called the ‘King’s Gate’ which has since been fully excavated.
This image shows the wall next to the Lion’s Gate, which stands at the southwest of the upper city of Hattusha. The Gate, which can be seen on the right, features two sculptured lions which ‘guarded’ the entrance to the city. The sculptures are still in situ today and archaeologists have created a reconstruction showing how the gates may have originally appeared.